Tuesday, January 29, 2008

4 Year Old Check up and SHOTS :-(

I forgot to mention in my previous blog that I took Conor for his 4 Year Old well check and immunizations. That was the worst 1.5 hours of mine and his day. The appointment was at 3pm and my Mom agreed to go with me. Last year I devised a plan that worked pretty well. I play the "bad guy" with the nurse and hold him down for the shots, then afterwards he runs to my Mom who plays the "good guy". All I have to say is, I am glad he doesn't have to have immunizations for a while cause that sucked bad. He screamed so loud and fought so hard. It was gut wrenching. After the nurse was done he said "I don't like her, she hurt me." *tear* He didn't run fever, or get achy so that is good news. He did get a bruise on his arm at one of the injection sites. Luckily, it is on the back of his arm so he can't see it.

So literally, on a lighter note, Conor weighs a whopping 31.5 pounds and is 38" tall. He is in the 25th percentile in weight and 10th in height. The Dr. mentioned we need to watch his growth since he is measuring a little on the short side. Being the obsessive compulsive person that I am I started researching growth percentiles on the Internet. "They" say that children who fall at the 25th percentile and below in height or weight are associated with "failure to thrive". Sounds scary, huh? To me, failure to thrive sounds terminal or something. Needless to say we are giving him regular vitamins, making sure he is eating a good variety of food, and also forcing down the 'ol moo juice. I really want my son to be a tall grown man. He needs to be strong to take care of me when I am old :-).

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you all his stats as of his most recent Dr. Appt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dreaded shots. I have to take my son in too and have been trying to avoid. I think he hates the shots as much as I do :)

Love the new blog look!

Gina

Anonymous said...

My son just had his 4 year old checkup yesterday and had 4 shots (2 in each arm) plus a TB test. I thought that was insane. I don't remember getting more than a couple as a kid in one visit, but at least he's done (except for flu shots) for awhile.

Anonymous said...

My four year old grandson is getting his shots this afternoon--4 and a TB. What in the name of sanity is the medical profession coming to when they can't even produce a combination shot or two so this insanity can stop? My son and daughter-in-law just called me from the doctor's office--they were crying. Did I mention my grandson has leukemia and very thin arms and legs? God help us.