Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Take some time to think.....

I personally witnessed the hearts of kindness and generosity among the people I work with the other day. The e-mail below was sent from a co-worker. Read below...

Last week I had something amazing happen to me. I was going to pick up
Matthew, my oldest son, from school. I usually am there right on time, but on
this day I arrived about 15 minutes early. I was sitting in my car when I looked
over and noticed that the city was giving parking tickets to the cars in "no
parking". I glanced over and saw a man running to his car begging the
attendant not to give him a ticket. It made my heart sad because I had seen this
man everyday, brining his grandson to school and picking him up. The attendant
acted like she had not heard a word he had said and simply placed the ticket on
his windshield. I got out of my car and proceeded into the school, that's when
something very strange happened to me. There was a man sitting on a bench by the entrance of the school, as I walked past him he said out loud "that's a shame,
he's really struggling". I looked at him but he was not talking to me. Then
something inside of me said "turn around" so I did, and I walked up to the man
that had received a ticket and ask him if he would let me pay for the ticket. He
looked at me and said "why?", I told him I would like to pay for it if he would
let me. We started walking towards his car to get the ticket and I started small
talk about his grandson. He told me that he was his grandsons guardian, his wife
and daughter (the little boys mother) have both died within the last 7 month.
Tears came to my eyes as he proceeded to tell me that he had raised 5 children
but wasn't ready at his age to again take on the responsibility of a 5 year old.
He said he was trying to do his best but times were hard. I reassured him that
things would be ok and we said our goodbye's. After he left I went to speak with
the little boys teacher, I asked him if he knew of anything I could do to help.
His teacher told me that he wears the same clothes at least 2 - 3 times a week.
I contacted the social worker and the school and she has since talked with the
grandfather who let her know the little boy, is in need of clothing. I
am trying to get some things together for him. He needs shirts, pants,
socks, underwear, shoes, and a coat for the winter. Would you be willing to help
me out? I have received some donations already, some people are bringing clothes and some people are giving money. Whatever you are able to do it would be
greatly appreciated and make a big difference in a little boys life.

As the rest of the week went on, tons of items and money has been donated. It is amazing how people can come together and give give give. My friend Nancy and I went to Wal-Mart that very same day and bought some items that we thought this little boy might need. As I stood there looking socks, I started to cry. This little boy, who at this young age, no longer has his Mommy or his Grandmother. It just seems so unfair. From day to day, my family and I live our lives. My son has everything and more that he could ever need. I have a beautiful home, a nice car, and husband to die for. My parents are wonderful, my sister is great, my in-laws are fabulous. I have, what I consider, a great life. I have so much to be thankful for, and I get so disappointed in myself when I take it for granted. All that I have could be gone tomorrow, so I must ask myself -- If today was my last day, what did I do to make it my best.

No comments: